November 28, 2012

Mini Movie Review: Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987)



http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg521/CoolMovieGuy/planestrainsandautomobiles.jpg 

Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)
A Mini Movie Review by Dave Randal

Plot: A man must struggle to travel home to Chicago for Thanksgiving, with an obnoxious slob of a shower ring salesman as his only companion.

This movie is probably known as many people's favorite Thanksgiving movie.  I find it a little odd that there aren't all that many Thanksgiving movies, but I'm guessing it is due to the fact that it is so close to Christmas.  In this movie Steve Martin plays the annoyed straight man who is going home to his family in Chicago for Thanksgiving after a business trip.  Some how he gets caught up with an annoying shower ring salesman played by John Candy.  Just about everything you can think of goes wrong as they try to get home to Chicago for Thanksgiving.

I just re-watched this recently and I remember enjoying it a little bit more as a kid.  It's not a bad movie, but I wouldn't say that it is for everyone.  It is written by John Hughes who is great at mixing comedy and drama.  In this movie it is pretty much a full on comedy with sprinkles of heavy handed drama.  Even though I don't enjoy it as much as I did when I was twelve years old, I still find it as a pretty decent movie.  Sure it has some minor flaws, but overall I can still safely say that it is my favorite Thanksgiving movie.

Dave Randal's Rating- http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg521/CoolMovieGuy/handsignThumbsUP.png  Thumbs Up
 
Dave Randal's Star Rating- ★★★★(4) out of ★★★★★(5)

No comments:

Post a Comment