December 9, 2012

Mini Movie Review: Home Alone (1990)


http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg521/CoolMovieGuy/HomeAlone.jpg 

Home Alone (1990) 
A Mini Movie Review by Dave Randal

Plot:  An 8-year-old boy, who is accidentally left behind while his family flies to France for Christmas, has to defend his home against idiotic burglars.

Throughout the '90s there was always one Christmas movie that I went crazy for.  That movie is Home Alone.  I just watched it again for the first time in years and although it is pretty goofy I still really like it.  The movie was written by John Hughes and starred Macauly Culkin as lovable smart ass eight year old Kevin McCallister. 

I watched this for the first time when I was really young, so the idea of waking up in an empty house was extremely scary.  The whole idea of an eight year old having to not only take care of themselves, but also defend their house against burglars was ten times scarier to a four or five year old me.  Culkin as Kevin is great.  He had this really straight forward line delivery that just seemed perfect for the character.

Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern playing bumbling thieves Harry and Marv were also great.  Marv always seemed kind of funny to me, but Joe Pesci as Harry was absolutely terrifying to me.  There was something about him that just really creep me out.  Especially after his head caught on fire.  It is amazing to think that he played hardcore gangster Tommy DeVito in Goodfellas (1990) which only came out about a month before Home Alone.  His role as Tommy DeVito was great, but I think his portrayal as cartoonish criminal Harry will remain just as memorable in the world of pop culture.

The idea of the movie set up a lot of cliches for other horrible movies to come out later, but I think this one still holds up pretty well.  If I hadn't grown up with this movie I probably wouldn't be giving it as high of a rating as I am, but there was just something about it that will keep it a Christmas favorite for years to come.


Dave Randal's Rating-Rock On!!!

Dave Randal's Star Rating-  ★★★★(5) out of ★★★★★(5)



No comments:

Post a Comment