January 11, 2013

Mini Movie Review: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)


http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg521/CoolMovieGuy/texaschainsawmassacrepart2_zps0a0831df.jpg 

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)
A Mini Movie Review by Dave Randal

Plot: A rock radio host is victimized by the cannibal family as a former Texas Marshall hunts them.

In the '80s there was a trend that started where everyone saw horror movies start to get a lot more goofy and more comedic.  Most of these were all in the slasher movie genre which was a sub-genre that exploded in the '80s.  Tobe Hooper decided to get in on the action by making a sequel to the movie that originally made him famous.

At the time of it's release I'm sure fans of the original were probably very mixed in their reception to this movie.  I enjoy the movie, but I'd say that the first half is a little bit stronger than the second half.  I originally watched this a couple of years ago and watching it again I have to say that I enjoyed it a little more.  Horror comedy movies aren't usually the movies that you warm up to after a re-watch, but overall I felt the movie was a bit more solid than I had originally thought.

I'm kind of mixed when it comes to horror comedy.  In some ways I really like it.  In other ways it can get way too ridiculous.  The problem with comedy in horror is that it kind of takes away from the creepiness that the horror movie is trying to portray.  Here in this movie I think it kept a pretty good balance.  At least a better balance than most horror comedy movies.

Dennis Hopper and Caroline Williams are great as their characters Lefty and Stretch.  Bill Moseley as Chop Top is hilarious and creepy.  The way he played his character reminded me a lot of Beetlejuice, but you can tell it was his own thing considering that the movie Beetlejuice (1988) had not even come out yet.  The most ironic thing about this movie is that even though it is the only truly comedic one in the entire franchise, it is actually the only movie out of the franchise that gave me a really good jump scare in the scene at the radio station.
 

Dave Randal's Rating-http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg521/CoolMovieGuy/handsignThumbsUP.png Thumbs Up
Learn the Randal Rating System


Dave Randal's Star Rating- ★★★
½(3½) out of ★★★★★(5)

No comments:

Post a Comment