January 12, 2013

Mini Movie Review: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)


http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg521/CoolMovieGuy/texaschainsawmassacreremake2003_zps04b85832.jpg 

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
A Mini Movie Review by Dave Randal

Plot: A group of friends in Texas are stalked and hunted down by a deformed killer with a chainsaw.

When this movie was announced I'm sure fans of the original were just waiting to tear it apart.  I'm sure they felt how dare they remake such a classic and influential horror movie.  The backlash came from both fans and film critics in a fierce way.  All in all though I find my self defending this movie.

Sure it might not have quite the gritty feel of the original, but why would you really expect that.  This movie was made by Michael Bay's company.  There is no way they were going to go for a dark indie movie look.  I my self thought it looked a bit too glossy, but that didn't exactly bother me all that much.

Is it as good as the original?  Well obviously not when you consider a few things.  First of all the original is the original.  It is extremely rare to  get people thinking that a remake is better than an original.  The gritty feel of the original isn't quite there either most likely because they had music video director Marcus Nispel on the job.  I thought it was a decent movie, but Nispel is no David Fincher.

Overall I honestly think people were way too harsh on this movie.  It is actually my second favorite in the franchise right after the original.  R. Lee Ermey as Sheriff Hoyt is creepy and awsome all at once.  Jessica Biel is really just kind of there as the lead screaming girl, but I don't think she did all that bad of a job.  I like the fact that the movie played up the family more and added a bit to it.  It wasn't just a basic hack remake.  The filmmakers added a lot of their own touch and I enjoyed the movie. 

Dave Randal's Rating-http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg521/CoolMovieGuy/handsignThumbsUP.png Thumbs Up
Learn the Randal Rating System


Dave Randal's Star Rating- ★★★★(4) out of ★★★★★(5)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment