January 18, 2013

Mini Movie Review: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006)


http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg521/CoolMovieGuy/texaschainsawmassacre2006_zpsa07b019a.jpg 

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006)
A Mini Movie Review by Dave Randal

Plot: On one last road trip before they're sent to serve in Vietnam, two brothers and their girlfriends get into an accident that calls the local sheriff to the scene. Thus begins a terrifying experience where the teens are taken to a secluded house of horrors, where a young, would-be killer is being nurtured.

I'll go ahead and say it right off the bat.  I'm not a huge fan of prequels.  I don't like seeing the events of something when I already know what they are going to lead to.  Sure there are exceptions.  Some prequels don't even have the same characters, but our based in the same universe.  I'm actually alright with those.  When it comes to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, it isn't like that at all.  It has a lot of the same characters and shows a lot of stuff that leads to future events.  Saying that though I honestly didn't mind it too much in this movie.

Critics and fans are very harsh towards this movie.  I understand why, but for some reason I find my self thinking it is at least decent from my perspective.  I think I kind of got suckered in by the two main guy characters who play brothers that are drafted and being sent to Vietnam.  At the time that I first watched this I was about the age when you register for the Selective Service System.  I think that in a way made me feel something for the main characters in this movie.  Instead of getting to Vietnam and experiencing horrors there they experience horrors in Texas thanks to Leatherface and his family of misfits.  I find something really interesting and ironic in that.

I wouldn't say that this is a great movie.  Although I do think it is a little underrated.  Seeing R. Lee Ermey yell at the two main characters like a drill instructor is pretty cool even though it is just a cheap ploy to make you think of his character in Full Metal Jacket (1987).  I also like the inclusion of the biker scene.  Sure it doesn't exactly lead to anything special, but I like seeing bikers in movies you don't expect to see them in.  It just made me think of trashy biker movies which is a sub-genre I'm a big fan of.

The movie could have been a lot better although I don't think it is as awful as most people think.  The 2003 remake is certainly better, but I think this one holds it's own on some levels.

Dave Randal's Rating-http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg521/CoolMovieGuy/handsignThumbsUP.png Thumbs Up
Learn the Randal Rating System


Dave Randal's Star Rating- ★★★½(3½) out of ★★★★★(5)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment